Hiring and retaining plumbers in a competitive market can be challenging. The growing number of opportunities and the shrinking number of experienced plumbers make it difficult to fill roles long-term.
Fortunately, you can take steps to hire and retain plumbers in a competitive market. These suggestions can help.
Implement these tips to hire and retain plumbers in a competitive market.
Increasing Demand for Skilled Plumbers in the Construction Industry
The shortage of skilled plumbers is driving the competition to hire and retain these professionals. This shortage increases labor costs and makes it more difficult for contractors to bid on projects.
Plumbers are in high demand for a variety of reasons:
- Supply chain disruptions and delayed construction projects during the coronavirus pandemic caused many plumbers to leave the industry.
- Many plumbers are retiring from the industry.
- Not enough apprentices are entering the plumbing industry.
- Younger generations tend not to be interested in skilled trades such as plumbing.
- Many high school graduates are encouraged to attend college rather than trade school.
- Many plumbers lack specialized skills to fill niche roles.
- Residential construction and renovation are increasing the need for plumbers.
Effective Strategies for Plumbing Talent Acquisition
You can use different methods to hire skilled plumbers:
- Elevate your brand image
- Optimize your hiring process
- Request employee referrals
- Contact previous employees and applicants
- Advertise on job boards
- Reach out to passive candidates
- Partner with a staffing company
How a Staffing Company Can Assist with Building a Thriving Plumbing Team
Working with a construction staffing company provides you with access to skilled plumbers when you need them:
- The staffing company has a vast, deep network of experienced, vetted candidates.
- You talk with a recruiter about your business needs, company culture, and other relevant details.
- The recruiter sends you a few qualified candidates to interview.
- You extend a job offer.
- The recruiter negotiates the job offer on the candidate’s behalf.
- The recruiter assists with onboarding and regularly follows up.
- If you are not completely satisfied, you can request a replacement plumber at no cost.
Would You Like Help with Hiring and Retaining Plumbers?
Partner with SitePro Solutions for help with hiring and retaining plumbers in a competitive market in Arizona and throughout the entire US. Start the process today.