Navigating the skilled trades talent shortage can be challenging. The construction industry has a substantial need for qualified workers to complete projects.
The declining number of construction workers and the increasing amount spent on projects contribute to the skilled trades talent shortage. The growing number of workers in need of specialized skill development further exacerbates this issue.
As a result, construction companies must find ways to navigate the skilled trades talent shortage. These methods can help.
Implement these tips to navigate the skilled trades talent shortage.
Attract and Retain Construction Talent
Construction companies can take steps to increase talent attraction and retention:
- Form partnerships with local high schools, technical schools, colleges, and universities to raise awareness of construction industry careers.
- Focus on nontraditional talent sources such as veterans and formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Offer competitive compensation and benefits.
- Focus on hiring for skills.
- Accelerate your hiring, onboarding, and training processes.
- Prioritize employee autonomy, flexibility, and support.
- Provide training opportunities to upskill employees.
- Offer career advancement opportunities.
Increase Construction Productivity
Construction companies can reduce the amount of labor required for each project to improve productivity in project development and delivery. These changes involve project designs and fresh ideas about where, when, and how to complete the work.
Improvements in productivity include rigorous control of the project scope and design simplification and standardization. For instance, the increased use of off-site and modular construction would accelerate design cycles. The results could include faster manufacturing techniques and less time spent onsite.
The use of technologies and analytics could drive faster, more informed decision-making during project delivery. For instance, project managers could use real-time data collection for more detailed insights into progress. As a result, managers could more effectively intervene to maintain productivity and keep projects on track.
Work with a Skilled Trades Staffing Agency
Partner with a staffing agency that specializes in skilled trades. The agency has a vast network of qualified, vetted professionals who are ready to begin producing:
- You have in-depth conversations with a recruiter about your hiring needs, expectations, and other requirements.
- The recruiter schedules a few candidate interviews with you.
- You extend a job offer to the chosen candidate.
- The recruiter negotiates the offer on the candidate’s behalf.
- The recruiter regularly follows up to ensure complete satisfaction for all parties.
Partner with Site Pro Solutions
SitePro Solutions offers you access to a national network of qualified, vetted construction candidates to fill any role throughout the duration of your project in Phoenix, AZ; Houston, TX; and all across the United States. Start the process today.